[TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials.

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Fri Jan 7 16:31:12 PST 2011

On 1/7/2011 5:53 PM, Rsoifer at aol.com wrote:
> When I was an undergraduate at MIT, there was a requirement for a
> Bachelor's degree thesis.  Mine was about bouncing 2m  signals  off Echo II (see my
> QST articles about that in 1962).  Anyway,  they invited three prominent
> professors, all of them hams, to be on my thesis  committee.  They quickly got
> into an argument about whether 20 dB (voltage)  was the same thing as 10 dB
> (power).  I just kept my mouth shut, and  got an A.  True story.
>
> 73 Ray W2RS

One of those trick questions. They are the same ONLY if impedance is
preserved for the voltage measurements. If impedance is not preserved
they are not the same.

In a job interview I was asked if I could vary the source impedance,
what source impedance would give the maximum power to the load. Another
trick question.

At my MS final oral I was asked to develop the fourier transform for a
sinewave. I knew the answer but the math professor (I should have known
better than to have had a retired head of the math department professor
emeritus on my committee!). I struggled with it not remembering the
exponential expression for a sinewave, he finally gave me that, but
e^it, not jt and I stood there for minutes (felt like hours) wondering
how I was going to integrate those currents in the exponents... Finally
I recognized that i wasn't a variable it was sqrt(-1),said "Ahah" and
rapidly scratched out the solution. I passed and went back for more
after trying to wear out a new wardrobe of green (not my choice).

73, Jerry, K0CQ