[TenTec] Aeolian Vibration

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 11 05:16:25 PST 2011

The idea of stringing rope inside of tubular elements or tieing
something loosely to a vibrating object to lessen Aeolian vibrations
isn't to change the resonant frequency. The point is to insert a
lossy element into the system and absorb the energy. Rope placed
loosely inside an element will move against the inner walls as the
element vibrates, causing frictional losses. Same thing with a twig
leaning against the poly rope.

Apparently, Dacron rope has more frictional losses and so cannot
maintain the resonance.

Kim Elmore N5OP