[TenTec] WARC band crystal part numbers

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sat Jan 29 07:25:53 PST 2011

The OMNI C manual I have downloaded from TenTec shows a table of LO
injection frequencies to the signal mixers on page 3-13. It shows 9-9.5
for the 18 MHz band. That's guaranteed to produce the spur. It means a 4
MHz crystal would be supplied for that band. To cure the spur also
inverts the side band selection and means the LO injection needs to tune
from 27 to 27.5 MHz from using a 22 MHz crystal and bandpass filter on
the crystal mixing board tune to 27 MHz.

On page  3-15 the manual hints that mixer balance and drive level will
affect spurious outputs, but they suggest adjusting to minimize a
receive spur at 1.950 MHz. And the schematic on that page shows a 4 MHz
crystal for 18 MHz and a bandpass filter circuit difficult to adapt to
27 MHz when the highest frequency it has to tune to originally is 20.5
MHz for the 29.5 MHz band segment.

I'm sure the 18 MHz transmit spur was fixed at some point in time, but I
don't know which radio was fixed first or if some Omni C were fixed.
Omni A and Omni D original and series B in the downloaded manuals have
no provisions for 18 and 24 MHz bands at all. An example of fixed is in
the Corsair. There fixed tuned bandpass filters are switched for each
band. And the mixer board is twice as wide to hold them all. In the Omni
C and before the mixer output filter is a single transformer that is
resonated for the 10m injection frequencies with fixed capacitors and
the bandswitch adds more C for lower frequencies. In the Corsair the
crystal for 18 MHz is 22 MHz as is required to cure the spur. The manual
does admit SSB-N is lower sideband on 18 MHz, but doesn't say why.

I said the same things in that 2003 discussion.

73, Jerry, K0CQ