[TenTec] Connector tightening

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Fri Jul 29 14:25:13 PDT 2011

The Amphenol 83-886 is also a viable candidate as are the connectors from RF
Industries, sold through Tessco.  There's definitely a lot of junk PL-259s
out there, and that includes the gold-plated types.  I would eliminate any
gold-plated PL-259 connector from serious discussion.

I think the best outdoor PL-259 is the Multicomp UHF with clamp.

http://tinyurl.com/3cr5tqv

Unlike the soldered PL-259, it assembles like an "N" male, and allows the
user to inspect his/her work before final assembly.  It's really not a 100%
waterproof connector, but it is far more water resistant than any other
PL-259.

I try to avoid tape of any kind when assembling an outdoor connector, even
when combined with a product like Scotchkote.  I would rather make every
attempt to protect the connector from the elements by simply pushing it up
inside a small UV resistant container where the connector can breathe but is
not in direct contact with water.

Paul, W9AC