[TenTec] Using Ten-Tec mics with Omni VI+

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 20 09:16:36 PDT 2011

On 6/20/2011 6:18 AM, Rsoifer at aol.com wrote:
> I don't have an Omni VI+ but my main rig is also an Orion II.  When I
> switched from an electret 706 to a dynamic 707, I had to move the H/W mic gain
> setting from 0 (default) to +12.0.  With the 707, the VOX trip level is set at
> 5%, which seems to work pretty well.
>
> The output of the 707 is rated at -78 dBV vs. -52 dBV for the 706, so the
> dynamic mic does need a lot more gain.

This makes sense. The guys who started Ten Tec had previously started
one of the world's great microphone companys, Electro Voice. Ten Tec
rigs have always worked just fine with dynamic mics. Because I worked in
pro audio and had them laying around, I used EV RE16 and RE20 mics with
my Omni V, with great results.

73, Jim K9YC