[TenTec] paralleling power supplies to run Herc II

Ray Sills raysills at comcast.net
Tue Jun 21 09:48:24 PDT 2011

My understanding of those big capacitor units is to permit the
operation of the typical 100 watt SSB mobile rig when it's powered
from the "quick and easy" power connection port: the cigarette
lighter socket.  That port should be good for about 10A, but if you
add the mega-capacitor, you can source 20A or more for short
intervals.. which works fine for SSB, or even CW.

And I agree.. a hefty battery is all you need, with hefty wiring.
The booster will let you transmit with full power, but at the cost of
depleting the charge in the battery more quickly.  The booster will
keep the output voltage constant as the battery voltage sags.  As
always, there's no free lunch in the physics department.

73 de Ray
K2ULR