[TenTec] Subject: Re: Using Ten-Tec mics with Omni VI+

Speer, Doug Doug.Speer at FairbanksMorse.com
Wed Jun 22 15:32:34 PDT 2011

Thanks for all the good information provided by all.  I can drive the Omni VI+ fine with using the Ten-Tec PRO-777 headset and the 708 desk mic by running the mic gain full open.  The problem is there was not enough drive to reliably trip the VOX which I like to use for contest operating.  I have solved the problem by simply using my Ten-Tec 715 processor along with the dynamic mics and the Omni VI+.  With the 715 processor I can add some hardware gain to the system and all is good.

Doug, W9PN

My main day to day station these days is an Orion II.  When on SSB I use either a Ten-Tec model 708 desk mic or more often a Ten-Tec Pro-777 head set.  My Omni VI+ is now my back up rig and my main Field Day radio.  I was checking out the Omni this weekend in preparation for Field Day and wanted to run it with the Pro-777 head set.  I found that the 777 head set and the 708 desk mic do not drive the Omni anywhere close to what the original Omni Model 705 Electret mic.  With the 705 mic I run the mic gain at around the 12 O'Clock position and it will trip the VOX reliably with VOX gain set at 5.  The other two mics require running the mic gain full up and with the VOX gain set 15 (maximum) will not reliably trip the VOX.

Is anyone out there running an Omni VI+ with the newer Ten-Tec desk dymanic mics or headsets?  Any tricks or tips?

Doug, W9PN

-----

----------Legal Disclaimer----------

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential, and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  No other person is authorized to access, copy or re-use this message (or any information contained herein).  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.