[TenTec] OMNI 6 - Interesting problem Encountered during FD

Don Jones ko7i at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 15:57:03 PDT 2011

Murphy's law rules field day - ALWAYS!
I volunteered my Omni 6 for use at my club's FD outing. We ran the radio off
a battery. Turns out the stud on the negative post of the battery did not
have threads all the way down the post.
When I hooked up the radio I failed to notice I had a marginal connection on
the negative post to my cable harness ring lug.
Anyways about an hour or two into the contest one of my CW ops to me in a
panic saying that they just lost power to the radio. I'm thinking crap! I
only put a 20A fuse in that harness and it just blew on me. (yes, I know I
should have been using one of those over priced magnetically activated
circuit breakers!)
Turned out the lug was not securely tightened down. The radio did not like
that - fixed the connection - the radio resumed normal operation - well sort
of.
Turns out that my OMNI 6 did not like that kind of a shut down and somehow
it did a "master rest" and reverted back to the factory defaults.
Just a strange behavior that I noticed, it took a little bit of time to
figure out that everything got wiped and the radio went back to square one.
As a side note, one CW, with a full load of filters in both IF's plus the
INRAD roofing filter mod, I was able to run on the low end of 20 meter CW
with the 20M SSB guys running too. I heard some interference but it was
completely livable and I never lost  QSO do to overload. The OMNI 6's
receiver held up just fine.
73,
Don Jones KO7i
Arlington, WA