[TenTec] OT: USB to Serial interface

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 3 06:22:47 PST 2011

Thanks Geoff  and Walt,

This *may* have occurred at the last update, or it could have been
two updates ago. I had a period of inactivity that had some updates.

The system is relatively recent: AMD Athlon 64 dual core running
processor 4600+ running at about 2.5 GHz, a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
mother board and 2 GB of RAM, all running with a 500 GB NetCell RAID
3 disk array.

Whenever the port is in use, (usually by EXTFSK), the problem
vanishes. But, when I unload EXTFSK and whatever is using the port
the problem returns. As I said, I tried the internal COM port on the
board and had *exactly* the same results. It's possible that the
internal COM port is not a true, native RS232 port but instead a UTS
that is built onto the board. I don't have a PCI card that does
native RS232 but I'll see if I can borrow one to try from work,
simply because this is so odd and I'm curious.

In the mean time, the work-around is to simply set the VOX/AUTO
switch on my RigBlaster plus to VOX unless I'm using the digital
modes. When using digital modes, I'll simply set the switch to AUTO.

Kim N5OP