[TenTec] Serial interface between Omni VI+ and computer

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sat Mar 26 12:52:09 PDT 2011

Is the rig RS-232 or is it TTL? If you have to use a level converter
from the computer serial port its sure the rig is TTL, like most ham
rigs using CAT especially Icom which the Tentec seems to be copied
after. Such level converters are readily available for replacing Icom
hardware generally with your choice of USB or RS-232 connectors on one
and and a miniature phone plug on the other.

Remember RS232 levels are usually -5 to -12 volts for logic 1 and +5 to
+12 volts for logic 0 while TTL levels are 0 to 1 volt for logic 0 and
+2 to +5 volts for logic 1. There is a polarity inversion as well as the
level changes, though many RS-232 receivers ignore that specification
and take +.5 to -12 as logic 1 and +2 to +12 as logic 0.

73, Jerry, K0CQ