[TenTec] new radio

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 12:47:33 PDT 2011

Seems like a lot of new rigs in the past year have surfaced.  I amy
have talked about this here or some other reflector/forum, but what is
up with the reduction of knobs and real meters on radios.  I know
there is cost savings to be had with this reduction, but I find it
hard to believe it is that significant.  Take the new eagle it has 4
knobs (well 6 if you count the dual knobs).  To me there are some
functions that it would be nice to have a dedicated knob for rather
than have to surf a menu get to it.  Like Mic Gain, RIT, RF power.
The IC-756proIII replacement hase replace the analog mter with a
digital representation of a meter... it is just not that same to me.
I guess this is why I keep end up using older radios...  My 540 still
works great and has a pleasent receiver to listen to.  I really wish
someone would make an "old school" radio with lots of knobs, real
meters, etc...