[TenTec] Orion III

Rsoifer at aol.com Rsoifer at aol.com
Sat May 14 09:35:14 PDT 2011

I am mostlly a CW operator, and find that the Orion II NR (v2.044A), with a
 wide (6 kHz) roofing filter (tnx Bob, K8IA, for that tip) does help pull
out the weak ones on 160 and 80 meters.  I don't have the "golden ears" of
some of you phone ops, but agree that on SSB, the NR does seem to attenuate
the high frequencies.

However, to me that appears to be a software issue, not something that
would justify trading in the rig for an Orion III.  In addition, there  seems
to be a consensus that a better spectrum display is something best done
externally.  So, as the guy who started this thread about an Orion III wish
list, it looks like we're down to only two major items: better data I/O (to
feed the panadaptor, Skimmer, etc.) and a sub-receiver with the same features
as  the main receiver.

The former can easily be done as a factory mod (or, for the brave, a user
mod), which leaves us with the sub-receiver as the main justification for an
 Orion III at all.  Is that enough?  What do you think?

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 5/14/2011 3:13:06 P.M. GMT Standard Time,