[TenTec] Heil PROSET PLUS IC with HC4 on Omni VII?

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 3 16:21:47 PDT 2011

I have tested and compared the Ten Tec 777 headset with many other
headsets, and it performed well against headsets that are WAY better
than the HIEL sets...

I use the AudioTechnica BPHS-1,   Sennheiser HMD-45-6,  and Shure SM-2,
or Shure 512, among others, and the TenTec 707 holds its own in this
class of gear.  After testing, I sold my 777 to one of the other list
members, preferring the AT BPHS-1, but I can strongly recommend it.

I would not recommend the HEIL HC-4 mic element for daily use.  By
design, it has a thin, tinny sound, with a view towards "breaking the
pileup" by promoting the mid-range and higher speech audio frequencies
and attenuating lower speech frequencies (i.e. has less bass output), so
the speech is purportedly more "punchy" - but you can accomplish the
same result by tweaking the transmit EQ and using a little on-board
compression, or, even better, using the Ten-Tec Model 715 RF speech
processor.   The 777 headset has a nice, balanced, all-purpose mic
element that you can tweak thin for punch, pile-up breaking audio, or
fat for more pleasant, rag chew audio.

I have loads of TT gear, and kinda wish I had one just to keep it all TT
on the desk.   It was that good.

That is just MY take.