[TenTec] Heil PROSET PLUS IC with HC4 on Omni VII?

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 4 16:23:05 PDT 2011

Ah... yes... an interesting observation !!

I, too,  read that in QST, and I cannot recall if it was HEIL or
Ten-Tec, or the author who made those claims, but but I do not believe
either claim, per se.   This is not a bad thing, as any seller is
entitled to a little literary license as it formulates its particular
marketing strategy... but I believe each of these claims amounts to no
more than each seller's particular sales pitch, or marketing strategy,
respectively.

I believe Ten-Tec did exactly as HEIL did...   Each company selected a
single microphone cartridge that produces the particular sound it was
looking for.  HEIL claims its cartridge is "made for equalization,"
while Ten-Tec claims its cartridge needs no equalization because it has
already "compensated" for the correct EQ (when it selected that
particular cartridge.)   In fact, each selected the ONE cartridge it
thought best, overall, and adopted a suitable sales pitch to explain why
that (one) cartridge is sufficient.

Thus, each seller offers an explanation as to why it offers a single
microphone cartridge.  HEIL's claim purportedly explains why it has
abandoned its previous approach of selling two different microphone
cartridges with inherently different characteristics, and Ten-Tec's
claim purportedly also explains why it does not offer multiple
cartridges, perhaps also explaining why it selected the particular
cartridge built into its product.

I don't think any microphone is really more or less amenable to
equalization than another.  It may or may not need equalization to
achieve a desired frequency response curve, as it may inherently
manifest an optimum frequency profile.

I don't take literally Ten-Tec's claim its cartridge has been
"compensated" in any way.  If meant literally, I would like to how or
what they did to accomplish that feat, other than select a cartridge
which manifests its notion of the optimum response curve, without the
need for equalization.

In any case, I think each seller is claiming its cartridge selection
best suits customer needs.  And we, as consumers, are to be the Judge as
to which product works best.

But I do not take either sellers claims literally.

That's just MY take...  your mileage may, of course, vary...

Happy trails.