[TenTec] OMNI VI/OMNI VII

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 16:19:55 PST 2011

I asked a question under this topic about the NR function on the OMNI VII
back in September. I was remiss in not thanking K8JHR, W3NP. AB9M, and
WB9DLC for very helpful replies at that time. Thank you!

Following are my personal observations after extensive listening yesterday
and today on 20 meters in the ARRL CW Sweepstakes (still going on) with an
OMNI VI Plus, a Mark V Field (with INRAD roofing filter mod) and a new Icom
IC-7410.

1. From the standpoint of listening, both the OMNI and the Field offered
first-rate audio (clear, crisp, clean CW notes) and had no trouble
separating the numerous signals (both rigs have a full complement of
optional filters). The geomagnetic K index was minimal, so conditions were
excellent. Little or no QRN. Ideal conditions.

2. To state the obvious, the OMNI is smooth, ergonomically speaking. All I
did was twirl the tuning dial. hit the various filter buttons depending on
what I wanted to hear--from everything when using the two 1.9 kHz filters,
to a 500/250 combination to isolate a particular signal, also using the PBT
control occasionally and ditto the NR button. The Field was almost as
smooth, requiring very little fiddling with the controls. The Field's
goldang filter arrangement doesn't allow for mixing and matching  like the
OMNI but it does have a second receiver which was fun to use when I wanted
to open up the bandwidth. In short, a draw. But the OMNI still wins on
simplicity.

As for the IC-7410, I will posit that Icoms enjoy the most sophisticated
firmware and software in the ham world, and even in the cheaper 7410 it
shows. The filtering, noise reduction, etc., are all very effective. I did
not find any reciprocal mixing problems that one might expect in a
lower-priced rig. But the experience of using all of the DSP circuitry
requires a lot of adjustments, both with the knobs and dials and with the
menus, and of course the CW sound, which is very good, still betrays its
DSP origins.

At the end of the day Saturday I went to the OMNI, and then to the Field.
Simpler, effective and very easy listening. I'll keep the 7410 as a third
rig just in case but my experience this weekend has cooled me on any idea
of moving up to any pricey DSP-based rig, even an OMNI VII.

P.S.: As far as transmit audio is concerned, I used the Field in last
weekend's CQ WW SSB, and got excellent audio reports from DX stations using
a basic Heil HC-5 mike. Of course the DSP rigs allow for all sorts of audio
tailoring, if one wants to go that route.

Thanks for reading.

73,

John, W3ULS