[TenTec] Orion's break in

Floyd Sense floyd at k8ac.net
Wed Nov 16 04:44:54 PST 2011

In my case, I am absolutely positive.  We're splitting hairs here as to
what to call the noise.  It's a mechanical noise and as N4UC said, the
noise is heard on the relay break, not the make.  I can prove that by
tuning the external keyer speed way down and sending a single long
dash.  And it IS annoying.  I've owned dozens of rigs capable of QSK and
non-QSK operation and while some of the others showed relay noise like
this in QSK mode, NONE made any noise in non-QSK mode except at the
beginning and end of a transmission.  This sounds exacly like the noise
one would hear from a larger reed relay that is not mechanically
isolated from a circuit board.

As time allows, I'll dig into my Orion II and solve this.

K8AC