[TenTec] Antenna-Analyzer

kc9cdt at aol.com kc9cdt at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 16:31:20 PST 2011

OK, I understand...
Thanks,Joe,
Lee

 -----Original Message-----
From: Joel Hallas <jrhallas at optonline.net>
To: 'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Sun, Nov 20, 2011 7:20 pm
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna-Analyzer

Lee,

There is nothing wrong with taking readings at the bottom of the
transmission line, you just need to understand what they really mean.
If you
have a reasonably short, reasonably low loss transmission line, and you
measure an SWR of 1:1 at the bottom, the SWR at the top, which is what
you
want to know, will be very close to 1:1.

OTOH, if you measure an SWR that is higher than 1:1, or you have a long
or
lossy transmission line, the loss and impedance transformation
properties of
the line itself will make the readings hard to interpret. They will
still be
valid readings, they just won't tell you what you want really want to
know
about what's happening at the antenna.

If you have full impedance data (with sign of reactance), and know the
electrical length of the line, you can determine the actual Z and SWR
at the
top through the use of a Smith chart, or a program such as TLW, that
comes
with recent editions of The ARRL Antenna Book. I'm sure there are other
programs as well.

If you have access to QST, take a look at my article: Feb 2007 - QST
(Pg.
63)
I Know What's Happening at the Shack -- What's Happening at the Other
End of
my Feed Line?

Regards, Joel Hallas, W1ZR
Westport, CT