[TenTec] Omni C not for 17M?

Pete Ferrand petef at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 22 13:35:38 PST 2011

Hi Curt:

Yes, you recollect correctly. 17m is not it's strong point. If you look in the archives there's an extensive discussion, the best post from which I've copied below. Mine has all the WARC crystals so I've used it. Worse than birdies in the receiver it transmits spurs, perhaps 10 or 20 db down. Far as I know, no solution has been found except to use an auxiliary transverter. Too bad because 17m is one of my favorite bands.

In addition, mine has all sorts of noise from the frequency counter on 17m (only) and I haven't found a solution to that.

The description below is correct except that he says the output of the VFO is 9 to 9.5 mhz...the VFO actually runs at 5 MHz but is mixed to the 9 MHz range so the effect is the same. The mixing then proceeds as Steve describes. He's written extensively on the unit, you can find the mods at the Ten-Tec Wiki site.

tnx es GL,
-Pete
WB2QLL
Somers, WI