[TenTec] Omni 6+ mute?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Nov 24 03:11:42 PST 2011

Sounds like you need to de-activate the "R" line without activating the "T"
line.

In the old analog rigs this would have been easy enough to do.
In the OM6 it's probably done in the computer now, so you probably can't use
that method.

The next step would be to use the TR relay of whatever it is you are
transmitting with to switch a relay that would remove the speaker from the
OM6.  I guess the audio amps would survive without being attached to a load.
You could always switch in a 4 OHM or 8 Ohm load instead of the speaker.
That would be even safer.

You should pay attention to the time sequencing.  Unless you are keying with
a pure TX, the transceiver you are transmitting with should do that.  If
it's a Ten-Tec, just tap into the "T" signal of that transmit and have it
trigger a keying transistor to key the [additional] relay which mutes the
OM6's speaker.  You can add just a bit of delay for the recovery using a
combination of RC.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Barry N1EU
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:27 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6+ mute?

Does anyone know a way to mute the Omni 6+ when in cw receive with an
external control line?

I just want to use Omni 6+ in receive mode, as an auxiliary receiver
tuned to the same frequency as the transmitting radio.  I've worked
out the antenna switching but I still need to mute the Omni 6+ while
the other radio is transmitting.  Any ideas or kludges?

Thanks & 73, Barry N1EU