[TenTec] The Eagle left me cold in the CQWW CW contest.

John Henry jhenry at tentec.com
Tue Nov 29 05:41:42 PST 2011

Well, the Eagle isn't everything to everyone. I did try to get them to
put a propane powered ceramic heater, but, no such luck. No one
thought anyone would need it, now we know. Of course, you could always
remove the cover and place a big heat sink on the PA and maybe that
would generate enough heat to keep your hands warm.

Me, in the states, I often ride my motorcycle to/from work year round.
The only times I don't ride is when there is the possibility for ice
or a monsoon, or it gets lower than 20deg F. For some reason riding
with 0deg F and -50 windchill just doesn't seem pleasant to me.
Below freezing, I use a wonderful product called "hot hands". Great
little product, shake 'em up, and put them in your gloves, and my
olympia gloves keep my hands warm on a motorcycle down into the teens
at 70+mph on the interstate.
Of course, if my buns get a little cold, I drop one in each pants pocket.

I suggest you invest in a case of them, and keep one shaken up under
your keyer, it will last about 8 hours rather toasty, at least then
you might be able to be known for sending "hot" code, hi hi hi

Great write up, also, great "real" reports on your contesting with the
Eagle. More news like that from other hams on the fun they had in a
contest with the xxxyyzzz rig helps others get more interested.

ok, sry, I know this wasn't related to real tentec products, but I did
give two ways to help make it easier for the colder climate chaps to
enjoy.

73, KI4JPL
John Henry