[TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 30 00:33:31 PST 2011

John,

The G5RV (if it is really built like the G5RV suggested antenna) has an
impedance "close" to 50 Ohms on 80 and 40 and most other HF bands.  The
Jupiter's built-in tuner will have no problem matching it.

If you have a "G5RV-like" antenna, such as it has the length of the G5RV,
but runs openwire all the way to the shack, then the answer is "maybe".

You asked to compare it to your MFJ tuner but that is like saying you have a
car and asking if the gas mileage of a new Corvette will be as good as the
one you have - hi.  We can't answer until we know what car you have.

If you dig into the specs of the MFJ tuners you will find that most specify
that they can match up to about 1600 Ohms.
Two or three say they can match up to 3200 Ohms.
Some can match to 1200 Ohms, while there are one or two others that only
match to about 800 Ohms.  BTW, it's the high power tuners which have the
lower matching ranges.

I will make a HUGE assumption here and say that the Jupiter's tuner will
probably match about the same as the MFJ that can match up to 1200 Ohms.  It
certainly is not going to match the range that the 3200 Ohms tuners can
match.  Maybe someone who owns one can check the manual and see if the specs
on the matching range are printed.

73
Rick, DJ0IP