[TenTec] Omni Speech Processor

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 30 03:57:58 PST 2011

Mike, the difference in average talk power is not only "perceived", it is
also real, if you run both technologies to the point of equal distortion.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of amsctalx at comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:55 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni Speech Processor

Richard -

I am not an expert on this topic, but I just went around with this myself
prior to the recent purchase of a 715 Speech Processor. The built-in speech
processor is an "audio" (DSP) processor. The 715 is an RF speech processor,
and (according to the operators I have conversed with) there is a marked
difference in percieved "loudness" and average signal strength indication
between un-processed input, the "audio" processor and the 715 with the RF
being the clear winner for loudness. Audio quality, eh...not so much.

Hope this helps!

Mike Alexander - N8MSA
Ten-Tec Omni VII