[TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 30 08:25:51 PST 2011

You're absolutely right Frank, that antenna ("Open sleeve folded dipole") is
an excellent and little known/used wide-band antenna.
I find it much better than a Bazooka or that other thing which inserts a lot
of capacitors (forgot the name).
Anyone wishing more info on that antenna can find it on page 1-23 of the
latest "ARRL Wire Antenna Classics", or pull it up from the QST archives
(April 1989).  The author of that article was Rudy Severns, N6LF.

It's also very easy to build a 4-wire cage antenna (spreaders available here
locally for that), but talk about a conspicuous antenna!  I would prefer the
4-wire cage to the sleeve antenna, but it's a bit more difficult to build.

I THINK WE ARE ALL ON DIFFERENT PAGES ON THIS TOPIC.

Part of the problem is we all have our own set of requirements.
There's not going to be one solution that's right for everybody.

In Europe FOR SURE and probably in the states too, most people don't have
the luxury of being able to have multiple antennas.  I have had QTH's in the
states and here in Germany where I could and I took advantage of it at the
time, but life moves on and QTH's change.  So do my interests in ham radio.

The beauty of the built-in ATU is the ability to match a compromise antenna
to the transceiver (and as Geoff pointed out, protect the finals).

I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that it's better to have
well-designed antennas and if necessary, matched at the antenna.  It's just
not practical in many, perhaps most cases.  If you are able to do it, I'm
envious, but happy for you.  One day I hope to be able to do that again too.

WE ARE OFF TOPIC FROM THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD.
I want to go back and answer some of John's questions, but I will do it in a
separate email.

73
Rick, DJ0IP