[TenTec] OMNI VI/VI+ Logic Board IC Availability

Glenn wa4aos at aol.com
Sat Oct 1 12:09:18 PDT 2011

Send request to address above for the revised list.

Not sure what you are asking????  ( What are you saying????? )

I have built a large and growing inventory of all parts for the O6  and Paragon 1 and 2 logic boards, I found sources for all parts
and much of it was overseas, however, with name brands like Motorola, Dallas, TI, Intel and others. I had to buy quantities above 30 each to get the prices I purchased.
I literally spent weeks and weeks finding all of these sources and then building storage bins just for these parts as well as a spreadsheet to keep up with it all. ( I am beginning to wonder if it has been worth the effort)

I may offer kits to list members for my discounted cost plus 10% which is a steal as long as it does not turn into a major hassle
The problem for most will be that the majority of IC's are soldered in place including 40, 28, 24, 20 16, 14 and 8 pin IC's.

I also bought a large inventory of machined IC sockets, not the cheap type most commonly used. Personally, I plan to install sockets whenever I replace a socket unless the owner does not want this.

In my lab, I have two AIRVAC de-soldering stations which GREATLY facilitate with the removal of IC's and not damaging the boards. I don't think the average Ham has this kind of equipment and trying to remove all 22 IC's with solder wick or solder sucker will be a major PITA. Not to mention,greatly increasing the likelihood of tearing board traces and causing other board damage.

JUST CURIOUS.. Is there interest in an IC/transistor/Diode/Zener kit for the Omni 6 Logic boards. Also remember the firmware is different between the 563 and 564. I don't have permission to duplicate Ten Tec's firmware but have not asked. I do have the EPROMs and burner to do so.

I have not finished my calculations but I believe I could put a kit together with all of the solid state parts and sockets for each, for under $100.  And, perhaps offer a de-soldering service to get the old hardware off the board for $???.

Input would be appreciated

73,
Glenn WA4AOS
DSM Labs  (dot Com)