[TenTec] ARRL Reviews

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Thu Sep 8 03:59:19 PDT 2011

I offer two personal observations on the new radio - receiver list debate:

	1)   As new radios come to market, they may (should) be
	expected to perform better than older models.   This
	sort of quality attrition happens in most all fields of
	endeavor.  New models outpace older ones.   But...

	2)  No matter how much better a new radio is compared to
	your old rig, ... your old radio does not suddenly start
	performing worse.  It is still the radio it always was.

	3)  These receiver rankings are sorted only by close-in
	third order intercept specifications.   Some of the lower
	rated radios appear to have superior or equivalent ratings
	on other specs.

Therefore,  I don't feel bad that my Omni VII was once rated one of the
best receivers when it was released in '07, but has fallen a couple of
places on these receiver rating lists.   It performs the same today as
it did back then.   I have not lost any ground, nor have I been set
back, just because the Eagle, or the TX-590s  have better close-in third
order intercept specifications.   I expect my new TX-590s to have better
numbers... as does the new TT Eagle.   My Omni VII has not lost any
ground - the others just pushed the envelope out a little farther, but
the Omni VII is just as good as it always was.   Same for the Orion II
and other rigs.    No one took a step backward.

I suspect this take could explain why so many Collins owners continue to
exhibit tremendous pride and experience such enjoyment with those
vintage rigs.   They are the same great radios they always were, despite
the fact newer, improved radios have come along.

Besides, these receiver test charts are of limited utility as they are
sorted for one, albeit important, factor.  But, this overlooks, and
overshadows, the fact some of the "lesser" radios have superior figures
and better specifications in other categories.   They may also have
other features you might prefer.   Therefore, one needs to look at ALL
the specifications before making a purchase decision, or before one
decides his rig has been rendered obsolete.

Therefore, I am not losing any sleep over the rating my rig currently
has.  I plan on shamelessly enjoying my Omni VII for a very long time -
without worry the new Eagle has a superior close-
in-third-order-intercept score.   The Omni VII works as well as it did
when I purchased it a couple years back.

Besides, I figure I have a limited budget, and good enough is just
that... good enough.

This is just MY take, anyway... your mileage may differ for various
multiple reasons.

Happy Trails.