[TenTec] Low-Power Tuner

Steve Berg wa9jml at tbc.net
Fri Sep 9 17:52:13 PDT 2011

Rick raises a very valid point.  So, here is a description of my humble
setup.

My shack is in the downstairs of a hillside ranch house, built into a
hillside.  The lot is small, and there is not really enough room to put
up any decent wire antennas.  I am mainly on 6 and 2 meters, so I have a
tower up for those.  The HF antenna is a Hy-Gain DX-88 trap vertical.
It is ground mounted on an aluminum post sunk into concrete.  I have a
DX Engineering radial plate at the base with about 70 radials from 20 to
25 feet in length.  I ran them all around the base, though the antenna
is blocked to the northwest, west, and southwest by my house and about
25 feet of hill.  I am still amazed that I can work anything out in the
blocked directions.  The feedline is about a hundred feet of RG-8 style
direct burial coax.  I have several turns of coax at the base of the
antenna, and also where the coax goes into the crawl space under the
garage.  In the shack, I normally run my Argonaut II, but occasionally
exercise my Corsair II or the Omni V.9.  I used to run a tuner,
allegedly capable of 1500 watts from a prominent Mississippi
manufacturer.  However, when I got my Centaur amplifier, I tried it and
at 400 Watts, the arcing pretty much destroyed the inductor switch.
Apparently I did not have enough capacity in the circuit.  I replaced
the switch, but it is just not the same.  So, being lazy, and figuring
that an L network tuner is about the most efficient around, I bought the
LDG.  I tend to run QRP power levels due to my being in a TV fringe
area, and the houses in my subdivision are crammed in pretty tightly.  I
am probably pushing my luck with 25 watts on 6 meters.  So, the
amplifiers are on the shelf until I can move north to my Wisconsin
property in a few years.

I have not made any power measurements to see what sorts of losses the
tuner has.  Even with 5 watts, I have worked quite a few stations in
Europe and South America on the HF bands.  I mostly work CW, and that
helps a lot.

The LDG tuner has two full scale settings for its power meter function:
60 watts and 600 watts.  I have not tried it with the amp, yet.  But it
works well with the Argonaut II.

I hope this helps.

Steve WA9JML