[TenTec] What Radio?

Frank Kirschner KF6E at mail.com
Mon Sep 12 06:11:42 PDT 2011

In my experience, and I'm sure there are folks on this list with much more experience and perhaps more astute observations, I agree with your number of around 500 watts. I use a Centurion amp (which I love), and usually run a maximum of 500 watts, never more than about 700 watts. I've found that any station I can hear will respond with around 500 watts, so more power would only make me audible to stations I can't hear. The most common situation in which more power would be useful is getting through a pile-up competing against very high power stations. I've found that having some patience, waiting for the big guns with > 1.5 KW to finish, and waiting for the band conditions to change slightly, usually gets me through with my 500 watt maximum. When I ran 100 watts, fifteen to twenty percent of the stations I could hear didn't respond. When I run barefoot at 200 watts, only the weakest stations don't respond. Of course, it's usually the weakest stations that I most want to contact.

 I'm currently using a 102-ft doublet with reasonable results, but am planning on putting up a Yagi soon. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in the maximum useful power with an antenna with some gain.

 73, Frank
 KF6E