[TenTec] Earth those feeders

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Wed Sep 14 04:21:04 PDT 2011

I have had one lightning strike at my home QTH in over 45 years of hamming.
Lighting hit an electrical fence next to our main barn (curiously, not the
barn nor the tree close nearby, which were both significantly higher) and
evaporated all 5 strands before digging a small crater in the ground. The
barn power is fed from the meter center at the house, some 300+ feet away,
and per the NEC has its own ground rod at the barn distribution center. All
the damage we had, which was all over the place, was due to the difference
in ground potential between the barn ground and back at the house ground at
the meter center. Even circuits which were switched off sustained damage,
since the ground wire remains connected. Curiously, although the computer in
the ham shack was affected, none of the radio gear was at all bothered, and
it is all tied together to its own ground rods (4) just 10-20 feet away.
Everything was plugged in at the time, too. I remember when we installed the
barn power thinking that this could be  a problem in this type of situation,
but understood the more likely danger would be an elevated ground in the
barn if the circuits there were not provided their own ground, so it went in
per the NEC.

=Vic=
WA4THR