[TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Apr 5 03:39:48 PDT 2012

I don't have a digital Argosy and have never even seen one.
Early digital rigs had both an analog scale (on the knob) and a digital
readout.
Of course the analog scale could only read a limited portion of the band,
but it was a good guestimate.
I think they stopped doing this when they went to synthesizers where you
could adjust the step rate of the vfo knob.

The short answer is, you have to momentarily turn on the display, every time
you want to know exactly where you are.  As long as you don't touch the VFO
know, and you weren't working on the band edge to begin with, you don't need
to know where you are, every second of the time.  It's good enough to know
just once during a QSO.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Richards
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:13 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field

I use Espresso Power, the way Stan does...  Lavazza Qualita Oro or Dallmayr
Crema D'Oro whole beans, freshly ground, 100% Arabica,
never forced or bullied using Robusta beans ...     ;-)

Say... seriously...

	As I am teaching myself the Code with renewed vigor
	lately, if you are using one of the TT QRP kits, or if
	you turn off your Argosy display to save energy, how
	do you know what frequency you are on ?    Some of
	the QRP kits appear to have a numerical scale instead
	of a frequency scale printed on their front panels.