[TenTec] Headphone impedence

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Apr 7 09:00:11 PDT 2012

Steve,

Your headphones are 64 Ohms and come standard with a 3.5mm stereo phone plug
and a 1/4" adapter.
They are also stereo.
Your Argosy has a 1/4" phone jack, but it is mono, not stereo.

The best thing is to build yourself an adapter from 3.5mm female to 1/4"
mono and connect both sides (left and right) together.

On page 2-7 of the manual (labeled 10-525 in the downloadable manual), at
the top, it explains how to use various headphones, but only vaguely.

Specifically, it states that you can use as is with high impedance
headphones, but for low impedance headphones, you need to add an attenuator
made of two 1/8w resistors which you can get at Rat-Shack for about 50
cents.

For me, high impedance is hundreds of Ohms, like my old Sennheiser HD-414
SL, which are 600 Ohms.
And low impedance is 8 Ohms.
I'm not sure where your 64 Ohm headphones fit.

ONE THING FOR SURE, it will not hurt to just plug them in using the adapter
built as described above.
However, you may find that the volume is very loud and the adjustment volume
control adjustment is very sensitive.
In that case you will need to build the attenuator as described on page 2-7.

If you have to go to Rat-Shack to buy the plugs to build your adapter, go
ahead and pick up the two resistors too.  If you don't need them, you're out
50 cents; if you do need them, you saved yourself a trip back to Rat-Shack.

73
Rick, DJ0IP