[TenTec] Thank You

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Apr 15 13:45:53 PDT 2012

If you encounter any difficulty with the Prolific chip drivers, don't
immediately despair... contact PowerWerx.com  (you know the guys who
sell Anderson Power Poles and related accessories...)  and they can
explain how to keep the newer Prolific drivers from clashing with the
chip in your adapter cable.     It seems Prolific has had problems with
cheap Chinese bootleg copy-cat chips, and they now employ Windows Update
to push updated drivers to your OS which may disable the cable if it
appears it is a bootleg chip.   Not saying the cable will have a bootleg
chip, but sometimes the drives THINK a particular cable has a bootleg
chip, and disabled the device -- this has happened to me - even using
the TenTec cable adapter that is based on a bona fide Prolific chip.

The Powerwerx work around should work... but this deal with disabling
purportedly bootleg chips was the last straw for me, and why I purchased
a 4-port Serial com port card.  Heck... I have 5 or 6 Prolific
chip-based USB-Serial cables supplied from TenTec and various reputable
HT radio vendors, and they all stopped working.   The Powerwerx
work-around worked on an older box with the Win-XP OS - but the serial
port card I purchased works on all my latest 64 bit Win7 boxes, and
there are no USB-Serial adapters in my shack now.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, as you have already ordered a
Prolific-chip-based cable, but I am merely suggesting a potential
solution if you see the problem with your new cable.    There is nothing
like being prepared and informed before the problem arises.

At least I have "good intentions" - but, of course, my road to Heck is
well paved with all my good intentions !

Good Luck.