[TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029 ---SpectrumDisplay &Tuning...

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 24 11:11:41 PDT 2012

Not the same as other rigs...   The Omni VII works the same as the Orion
II, and here is what it says in the ARRL product review :

		The receive S-meter is worth particular
		note on two counts. First, it is the only
		S-meter I’ve encountered that provides a
		reading that just indicates receive signal
		strength.

		Other S-meters show wild changes in value
		with a change in preamp or attenuator setting.
		Not this radio — its value automatically compensates
		for such changes and the readings are close
		whether the preamp is on or off or attenuation
		is inserted. Second, it showed S-9 with a 67 µV
		(only 2.5 dB, less than half an S-unit, from the
		original 50 µV standard that Collins established),
		then dropped one S-unit every 6 dB, just as
		it’s supposed to. With this radio, you can give a
		meaningful S-meter comparison between received
		signals!

Hope this helps clarify the matter.

Disclaimer - A rather non-scientific, vernacular statement follows:

I understand by all of this that the S-meter reads the raw signal
strength BEFORE the rig does stuff to it, like run the pre-amp,  or
apply the attenuator, or apply filters, so that no matter what you do to
the signal in the rig, it reads the signal strength first, as it enters
the rig.  Thus, the signal strength is not supposed to vary if you do
stuff to it in the rig, on its way to being converted into sound.