[TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029 ---SpectrumDisplay &Tuning...

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 24 16:51:36 PDT 2012

Well, shoot.   Guess that differs from my Omni VII, although I played
with both an Orion II and and Omni VII side-by-side over the weekend and
thought they behaved the same... or at least so I thought...    ;-)

My Omni VII manual says this:

		The S-meter is calibrated to read S9 with a
		50 uv signal at the antenna connector.
		Previous transceivers were calibrated to
		register S9 with a 50 uv signal without preamp
		or any attenuation engaged. OMNI-VII
		has been programmed to register an
		accurate strength of the signal regardless of
		internal amplifiers or attenuation.

So ... NOW... you have me wondering if they changed it in recent
firmware updates !     From what you say, they may have done son in the
Orion II firmware.

Firmware updates can be a doubled edged sword... we can either gain or
lose features, settings,  etc., in particular updates.

Thanks for the uptake.

On 4/24/2012 3:50 PM, Rsoifer at aol.com wrote:
> Kim,
>
> I just checked my O II.  Cranking in ATTN does affect the S meter reading,
> as does switching the preamp in or out.  If you reduce the RF gain, the S
> meter will rise unless it is below the noise level.
>
> QST reviews, etc., shouldn't necessarily be relied upon since they describe
> earlier versions of firmware.

[[