[TenTec] New TT Amp

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 13 21:13:00 EDT 2012

I'm inclined to agree with you and Jeff.

As far as buying the 539+418, one scenario that I can see is $$$ up front.
Assuming that the final price is around $800-900 for each, it may be
easier on a limited budget to buy the 539 first, then buy the 418 at a
later date, if more power is desired.  Easier to justify to the XYL, if
required, as well.

A well-equipped Eagle is going to cost half again as much as the 539/418
combo.  With the auto-tuner, a couple of CW filters and the NB, I have
over $2,300 invested in mine.

Apparently I got so preoccupied with the omission of the 12- and
60-meter bands in the 539 that I overlooked the fact that no auto-tuner
is available.  How many of us who run 5 watts or less use resonant
antennas all of the time?  Strike four.

My rationale is that, since I already have the Eagle, and with a KX3 at
home waiting to be assembled when we get home from vacation, if I bought
a 539 it would be a shack-bound item.

However, I like the design and features of the 418.  As Jeff said, many
of us QRPers have multiple QRP radios.  I have a 556 Argo, K1, K2, K3/10
and a KX3, as well as a QRP++ and even a HW-9, most of which should work
well with the 418.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW