[TenTec] new amp

Frank Kirschner KF6E at mail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:13:45 EDT 2012

I already had a Centurion amp, so I didn't consider a lower power option. I was looking at the K3, the Orion, and the FTdx-5000. I went with the 5K because I got a really good deal on a used one.

 However, if I were building a station today, a QRP rig and accompanying amp would be a good choice, especially in view of the KX3 and the Ten Tec offerings. It would offer flexibility that the integrated rig (like the Eagle) wouldn't, and would perform as well or better. As has been pointed out, I could put the QRP rig in a briefcase and take it with me on travel, and have the 100 watt amp (and even the 1.2 KW amp) at the home QTH.

 In the old days, QRP rigs didn't have very good receivers because they didn't need very good receivers; you weren't going to work someone who couldn't hear you, so why hear those stations you can't work? Now, the receivers in QRP rigs are as good as or better than their higher-powered cousins.

 I guess the answer is still, "It depends." If you are inclined to take a rig with you and want the challenge of QRP, the new amps will have a place in your shack.

 73,
 Frank
 KF6E