[TenTec] Ten Tec 253 Question

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Dec 27 12:35:22 EST 2012

I usually strip previous parts of the thread, but I'm leaving much of
them in here for context.

Yes, the power rating of a tuner DOES depend on the impedance that is
being matched. While the 229/238 series tuners are rated for legal
limit, there are impedances that can release the smoke from one or two
of the fixed capacitors. I've never run into arcing with them.

  The new Elecraft KAT500 auto tuner is rated for a 10:1 or better SWR
for use with the KPA500 (which does as much as 700W going downhill with
a tailwind), is rated and legal limit for an SWR of 3:1 or better.  I'm
using the KAT500 with my Titan with antennas that are better than 3:1,
and it seems to be happy. Three outputs, switching logic like the Ten
Tec tuners.  $700 factory built, $50 less as a kit. Like Ten Tec gear,
it's made in the USA.

73, Jim K9YC