[TenTec] Best Travel Rig.

Don Allen w9cw at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 13:00:41 PST 2012

On 2/16/2012 2:00 PM, tentec-request at contesting.com wrote:
> On 2/16/2012 8:59 AM, Kris Merschrod wrote:
>> >  This will be shocker, but the Yaesu 857D, has been an easy rig to carry
>> >  around from place to place - I've run it from car batteries and also power
>> >  supplies.

> It's cute and convenient, but both the RX and the TX are pure crap.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

That is certainly true with the FT-857D RX (wideband RX),  and after all
the TX is 160 thru 440.  It's not even in the same ball park, let alone
league, with any Ten-Tec RX.  However, the criticism is a bit harsh on
the TX in some tested specs (at least according to the ARRL)...

FT-857D  TX IMD 3rd Order -25dB, 5th Order -40dB
Eagle  TX IMD 3rd Order -28dB, 5th Order -40dB

I'm certain the Eagle's IMD specs have improved since the ARRL PR.

Having been a Ten-Tec owner since 1978, I love their rigs.  But, if a
rig exists that covers basically everything, especially in case of an
emergency... albeit comparatively poorly... it's still better than not
having capability on those freqs when you just might need it.

Don W9CW