[TenTec] Orion - Ver. 3.30 / RF GAIN

Charles W. Shaw charleswshaw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:19:21 PST 2012

Hi from Hobbs, NM:

         Since my subject got changed, I will join the newer version.

         Barry, N1EU, wrote, "It seems like an easier fix would be a
firmware option to swap AF Gain and
RF Gain controls, although that's out of our control."

         Someone (perhaps Barry) had suggested this before.  I would
buy it, and I would certainly be happy with it if it only applied to
the RF Gain of the main RX.  I would also accept the loss of the CUT
control (as was once suggested) in order to have a dedicated RF Gain
control.  Perhaps firmware could make this happen only in CW
mode?  That would not remove where CUT is most useful--on SSB.

         Rick, DJ0IP, suggested an outboard attenuator.  This would
work electrically; but it would add to the problem of knowing in a
hurry whether the inboard & outboard switching was all correct for
the job to be accomplished.  Keep in mind that in DXing we need to
use the MULTI knob to set CW speed, the power level (to go to and
from an amplifier), perhaps to adjust the NB or NR level, to adjust
the notch settings, and now the SAF and other things--as well as the
most common--RF Gain.

         When I intend to turn the RF up or down a bit and find that
I have instead changed my CW speed, (having in the rush forgotten to
return the MULTI to RF after matching the DX's speed) this will
likely mean I miss a chance to drop my call into the pileup at an
advantageous split-second.  If I had accidentally left the MULTI on
PWR, I could (and have) accidentally turn the drive up enough to
overdrive the TITAN III.

         See what I'm after?  (Rhetorical question.)

73,
Charles Shaw - N5UL
Hobbs, NM