[TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Mon Jan 23 16:14:21 PST 2012

More Bonding is indeed the answer.  It is not only required by the NEC but
it is also safer.  For instance, if a nearby lightning strike affects some
grounds more than others (because they are NOT bonded) then a large
potential can be caused to exist and to flow through equipment - and ruin
it.  That is all quite aside from buzz and hum.

As far as buzz and hum are concerned - remember that the leakage signals
will be small in amplitude.  Thus their I2R losses will be quite low.  This
is especially true if VERY large bonding conductors are used (small R).
Obviously you cannot have the distance as small as you would like.  So
impedances will rear their ugly heads.  No help for that.  But even there,
arrange the very best bonding connection that you can, in order to minimize
the problem to the extent practical.

Even an imperfect bond is an improvement, as Jim has pointed out now, and
many times in the past.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ