[TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

Joel Hallas jrhallas at optonline.net
Fri Jan 27 05:52:20 PST 2012

Steve,

Thanks, yes I agree that it is important to be as correct as we can. Still,
I have confidence in our observations.

The dry / wet response was a puzzle at first, but my rationale is
straightforward. On the dry ground the fields on one side are almost
entirely in the lossy dirt -- not to surprising that there would be a lot of
loss. I would expect somewhat similar results (easy to check, but we didn't)
if the line were tacked to lumber or something similar. I hold mine off the
house with 3 inch TV twinlead type standoffs.

The other extreme, at its limit, I would think would be having the line
laying on a copper or aluminum strip. Now we have the straightforward case
of parallel strip lines. Yes the impedance will be different -- important in
a matched system, but we adjusted for mismatch since we were interested in
loss (in most amateur applications, the system is adjusted for match at the
sending end). The loss in the parallel stripline should be about the same as
the window line. I think the wet grass was acting more like a conductor than
a lossy dielectric, and thus more like the double strip line. At least that
was the only explanation that made sense to me.

I was surprised at that result as well, so we repeated it several times with
consistent results. The moral of the story--in a temp situation (Field Day,
for example) don't run window line on the ground!

Regards, Joel Hallas, W1ZR
Westport, CT