[TenTec] Just an observation, Field Day in Hawaii

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Jul 1 14:25:42 PDT 2012

YES, I have a copy of the ARRL Operating Manual.  I suppose I should
consult the ARRL Handbook, also.

Yep... LISTEN first - like looking before I leap.
That like good advice.

One of my very first SSB contacts, I answered a guy calling one of those
WAS Nets to order.  I gave my call sign, and was kinda surprised he
immediately replied and said I was "Number 11 on the list."

Of course, I was not yet familiar with such nets or how they worked,
which meant I had only ten short examples to consider before it would be
my turn to do that voodoo that they do so well.

I listened REAL HARD to those first ten contacts in order to discern the
appropriate exchange, so I would get it right the first time.  It seems
painfully obvious today, but those first ten contacts seemed to fly by
in a hurry as I was figuring out how to play the game!

Happy trails.