[TenTec] new to CW dxing

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Jul 4 00:34:17 PDT 2012

Now Jim, that's pretty much like my experience.

When I hit QCWA qualification, I was 39 years old, still in great physical
shape (except missing a few hair on top).
I went to a QCWA meeting in Friedrichshafen where we have our annual big
Hamfest.
I walked into the room, looked around at all the old farts with pot bellies
and grey hair, and then did an about-face.
Never went back, never joined.

Now that I'm 50 years on the air, I have the necessary physical shape and
looks so maybe I will join the OF's club.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Jim Lowman
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 1:06 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing

Kim, I guess now I belong in that same fraternity.

I was excited when I had been a ham for 25 years and could join the QCWA.
However, I was all of 42 years old.  I looked at their periodic publication,
which looked like a fire drill at an old-folks' home to me at that age.  Not
much about hamming and a lot about get-togethers, so I didn't renew my
membership.

Maybe at age 64 I need to renew my thinking - and membership.

73 de Jim

On 7/3/2012 3:52 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
> Being an Official Olde Fahrt (QCWA and OOTC member) I took all my tests
under the baleful eye of the FCC. When I took my Extra test, I brought my
Vibroplex and the wedge contacts, so I could use just key across their
straight key. The examiner barely raised an eyebrow and allowed me to send
maybe one word before he pronounced me adequate.