[TenTec] Ten-Tec Marketing (?) + Ten-Tec "FIRSTS"

Lee WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Thu Jul 5 12:40:52 PDT 2012

This list is a good example of INNOVATION!  Most companies produce items already well
defined by the market.  Little innovation.  Companies and individuals like Collins (mechanical
filter and KWM1 transceiver), Regency (TR-1..first mass produced consumer transistor
radio), Hallicrafters (FPM 200 mostly solid state transceiver in the 1950's...The FPM 200 was
an amazing piece of engineering), Cosmophone and of course Ten-Tec.

Other than Ten-Tec, where are all those companies today?  Innovation did not guarantee
their survival.  I would argue that innovation may well hurt the companies who innovate to a
degree.  When you innovate you are plowing new ground, doing things not done before.  You
get some things right and some things not so much.  Customers often do not know how to
deal with the "new" ideas and many are reluctant to jump in for a while.  It may actually
benefit a company to let someone else plow the ground and then come along behind and
smooth it off.

Recall the Orion introduction.  There were some (some will say many) issues.  that was a
huge undertaking but Ten-Tec established a new class of ham radio receiver performance.
Even though the Orion was in the market for all to see and critique, it took the competitors a
number of years to join the class.

Keep in mind that Ten-Tec has weathered the storm of innovation for 40+ years and is still
doing well as far as I know.  I have a huge amount of respect for them.  May they have 40+
more great years!

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY