[TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

art davis n4uc at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:53:12 PDT 2012

I can't argue one bit with what Bob says here, but I will add that another rig that you might consider is a well preserved Orion 565. When I was looking to replace my 940 I decided that I wanted to look at the home-grown offerings. Since I grew up in and around Sevierville, I went with TenTec although I had never owned one of their radios. The O2 cost more than I wanted to spend at that time but I ran across a good deal on a lightly used 565 and have never regretted it. Functionally and operationally the two radios are barely distinguishable from each other. The main difference of course in the human interface is the color screen of the O2.  There are some slight difference in filtering schemes but I'm not that "into" such subtle differences in radios. But I do know if a radio is easy to use and TT rigs mentioned are quite a bit more intuitive than the JA's. Orions are going for $1500-$2000 with cw filters and if your lucky you'll find one in that range with the auto-tuner. Bottom line: you really can't go wrong with a Ten Tec radio.

Hope to see you again in Huntsville next month Bob!

Art N4UC