[TenTec] What's wrong with the Ten Tec Scout?

Michael A. Goltz whomike at zoominternet.net
Sat Jul 7 15:13:56 PDT 2012

I have been following the "First Ten Tec" thread by Rick with great interest! Mine started with a PM3 then a Triton IV  then an OMNI A Series B then an OMNI D then another Triton IV with digital accessory along with a Century 21, a Century 22 and then I bought a Corsair II. At one time had then all together and used all of them CW only (no SSB).
I got very sick in 2000 and disposed of all my gear!  Everything.
Too make a long story short I am still here. I want ( and need) to get back on the air and I found a Scout with all the modules and plan to put it on the air as soon as I get a wire up.
I read the post from the fellow who thought "the Scout was Ten Tec's low point". I would like to hear from Scout users who love the Scout or hate it. I want to know about the freq drift(?) when using the internal keyer(?) Will it be better if I use an external keyer? Will I like the Jones filter after using 250/500 Hz filters? This Scout was back to Ten Tec for a go-over about a year ago (right before I bought it). I have the 937 Power Supply to use with it.
I plan to use the Scout fixed only-no mobile. And on CW only. Give me your experiences and thoughts! I would be grateful for any info!  Thanks!!    Mike N8CRF    whomike at yahoo.com