[TenTec] What's wrong with the Ten Tec Scout?

James C. Owen, III k4cgy_list at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 18:03:14 PDT 2012

Hi Mike,
    There is nothing really wrong with the Scout, but it does have a few quirks. It's sensitive, selective and I don't think you will have a problem with the Jones filter.  I never had a drift problem but then I never could do much more than 20 wpm.  The drift problem, as I understand it, happens with speeds over about 25wpm and long transmissions with no pauses. If you pause for a few seconds the vfo will re-lock. Yes an external keyer will solve the problem.
There are a few birdies due to the digital readout, that pulses with the clock frequency and of course they are always right on a net frequency that you operate. I had one on SSB on 14.336 the county hunter frequency but found if you flipped the switch to cw speed readout it changed the birdie frequency and didn't cause a transmitt problem except you didn't have a frequency readout.  Other than that I thought it was a great rig. I sold it and bought an Argonaut V that has a slightly better receiver and doesn't require a plug-in for each band but power is reduced to 20 watts output instead of 50. Not a real problem as I see it.
    Get it on the air and enjoy.
73 Jim K4CGY