[TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 11 18:30:36 PDT 2012

On 7/11/2012 8:04 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:

> However, SET is much smaller than Field Day has become.  Could that be
> because points are under-emphasized and SET is sometimes a county ARES
> group made up of members of several clubs?  Thus, you don't have that
> direct competitive reward.

	That is a good question...  I suppose it may be
	because FD is open and intended for all hams of
	all stripes, while the ARES event is really only
	open to ARES guys...  and is more focused on its
	specific purpose.

> I guess the ambiguous nature of FD has evolved because it either was
> directed to offer something for the non emergency comms ham, or it
> gravitated towards that direction to provide something for everybody in
> a club to participate in.

	YES... I suspect all of this is true.  FD has,
	indeed, become a multipurpose event and does
	appear to be intended to get all hams to come
	out and  1) promote ham radio as a PR event, and
	2)  have a modicum of emergency communications
	experience so that everybody is (sorta) trained and
	on board in the event we are needed.   It provides
	exposure and educates guys who are not in the em-com
	loop, broadening our ability to step up and serve if
	needed.

	I think both of these goals are worthwhile.

I am always amazed at those who come out but
> do not operate when given plenty of chances.  My hat is off to those of
> that group who do come out early and help set up! (and take down, the
> next day).  But, most groups find a larger turn out just before the
> announced meal serving time.

	Yep... I have worked with various charity groups
	for nearly 30 years - some very large organizations,
	and that seems a universal attribute.  It has always
	been true that 80% of the crime is committed by
	20% of the criminals.

  There is strong sentiment in the Southern ARRL
> divisions for moving FD to a milder weather time of year for all, like
> Spring or Fall.  Or have a choice of having one in Winter or one in Summer!

	I would second that motion.

	Of course the problem with the Spring and Fall
	is that is the rainy season in many places, such
	as my home state of Michigan, where it rains
	a lot in the Spring and Fall.

	Separate from that, many organizations cannot get
	volunteers for events during the school year,
	because families are so blamed busy and scheduled
	during the school year, so the three summer months
	have the best chance of turning out the younger
	set.

	We have an awful time doing charity projects in
	Sept and May - when the weather turns OK, but remains
	cooler and comfortable.

> But, another thing has changed.  Emergency communications no longer
> operates from a tent outdoors.  There are comms vans, with built on
> antennas, or you operate a real emergency from an EOC.  There is now
> provision for that in FD, thankfully (EOC operation).  If they change up
> FD to be more of an emergency comms exercise you lose many of the casual
> hams, who otherwise often come to FD for the first time and get lured
> into exploring more about Em Comm.

	I agree -- although I believe many hams do not
	turn out for FD because they see it as a contest, and
	they are not contest types.    This is why I favor a
	shift form the contest paradigm to more of an em-com
	paradigm, with emphasis on the need for everybody being
	prepared - and continuing to promote it as a huge PR
	event - showing the community how and what we can do
	and how many can be called upon to do it... which makes
	ham radio look good, and serves the purpose of providing
	every ham with a modicum of em-com experience.

> I don't think most realize how much preplanning has to happen to put on
> a FD.  I speak from putting on my first with four stations in 1958.
> Now that was an experience on OJT!!

	YES... if you do it "right."

	BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHY FD IS A GOOD IDEA... AS
	IT PROVIDES A CHANCE FOR ALL HAMS TO LEARN WHAT
	IS ENTAILED WHENEVER WE MAY BE CALLED TO SERVICE.
	WITHOUT FIELD DAY, EVEN FEWER HAMS WOULD HAVE
	ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT IS NEEDED, AND BE STUMBLING
	AROUND LIKE ROOKIES IN AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY.

	So, while not perfect, it is SOMETHING toward educating
	the entire ham community - which is a lot better than
	nothing.

> With the many Public Service requests clubs get once they look for other
> events where communications can be practiced, and with multiple SET type
> events for ARES in some states, groups are finding that too much
> training wears out the members, or takes too much time away from family.

	Quite right.

	May I add another factor...?  In my area (SW Michigan)
	some of the radio clubs have alienated members by
	asking them to turn out for events which provide
	community service, but which do not require or utilize
	our radios.   An example is the Spring Lake 10K road
	race, where hams end up standing on various corners
	keeping runners on the course.   The only time they
	use the RADIO - is to tell us when we can go in for
	coffee and doughnuts.  I suppose we might use the rig
	if somebody stubs a toe or suffers heat prostration,
	but that never occurs - so it is hardly a radio thing.

	I do it because it is public service, but grumble
	because it is NOT a radio service.  A lot of hams
	won't turn out for these events, preferring to wait
	for a radio related call.

> But trying to get back on Ten Tec topics, how many used an Eagle at
> Field Day, and what were your experiences in operating it?

	THIS IS INTERESTING STU... I started the thread
	with a brief comment on how the local rabble had used
	Ten-Tec radios for our local field day station.

	So, I guess it has come full circle !      ;-)

bb.