[TenTec] Paragon Problem gets very odd

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Jul 15 12:09:54 PDT 2012

YEAH... I REMEMBER MY MOM SAYING THAT !

My brother and I had a very old B-W GE TV in our room and we babied the
tuning knob, just like my Mom said to do, and it lasted nearly 15 years
of constant use.  We were not rich by any means, but we were the only
kids around with our own TV in our room.  It still worked when I left
for college.

Your comment on vertical hold and having to futz with the knobs also
brings back memories -- along with my brother and I trading off holding
the antenna just a certain way, so we could see something without
ghosting or to reduce snow on the picture.   There is a M*A*S*H episode
where Radar tells Hawkeye and BJ to hold this, touch that, and stretch
your arm out over here... so he can get better reception.  Same thing, I
guess.   No longer have to do that with cable...  somehow the program
seemed more valuable if we had to work to get it.

Yep... you struck a nerve at my house, Wade.

On 7/15/2012 6:04 AM, wade staggs wrote:

> connections, as a boy when changing the channel on the TV ( mechanical
> tuners ) I was hollered at many times.... " Don't spin the dial so fast,
> you are going to tear the TV up."

I vote that we bring back the Vertical
> Hold Control on All TV Sets !!! Our TV never looked good unless there was a
> paper Matchbook wedged behind the Tuner Knob.

Have I triggered some memories?