[TenTec] Burnishing tool?

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Jul 15 12:32:37 PDT 2012

On 7/15/2012 1:11 PM, w8au at sssnet.com wrote:
> At 11:13 PM 7/14/2012, Richards wrote:
>> Does anybody use a burnishing tool to clean contacts?  I seem to recall
>> RadioShack selling such a thing years ago.  Not having one, I sometimes
>> use an old ink eraser.  Are there better ideas for this?
>
> Nothing better, but if you need something in a hurry, use a
> clean dollar bill.   Very rugged, no shedding, and has a slightly
> coarse surface.

	Good suggestion.

	I usually use strip from a paper grocery bag,
	as it is one of the least coated types of
	coarse paper  (coated in the sense that paper
	is processed with various "coatings" meaning
	chemicals used in the finishing process)  a
	suggestion from a college friend who studied
	paper science.  He quit industrial chemistry
	to become a minister... for which he was well
	suited...

(need I add -- pull through closed contacts, not push?) :-)

	Nope.    (Thank goodness!)     ;-)

	OBSERVATION -  There is a guy on eBay who is
	selling these burnishing tools as a tool for
	cleaning and polishing the silver contacts on
	our code keys - but I would NEVER use something
	as coarse and abrasive on those little contact
	pads.  I figure after spending upwards of $200 on
	a key, I am very careful about how I clean it.
	Maybe I am overly cautious, but that is just MY
	take...  You suppose I am being too careful ?