[TenTec] Burnishing tool?

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Jul 15 12:42:31 PDT 2012

On 7/15/2012 1:33 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> Ink eraser to clean edge contacts or otherwise is a bad idea due to the
> outgas of an acid compound and Sulfur.  Rub it on a surface and smell.

	Really...?   Well Shoot.

	I figured the rubber eraser would be pretty
	harmless...  actually, looking at it,  it seems
	more of a soft rubber art eraser than an ink
	eraser, but still... never considered it would
	leave any deleterious residue.

	Thanks for the primer on using the spray
	products... it matches what I learned from
	the SWL crowd years ago before I became a ham.
	I usually spray a cotton swab and apply from
	there.  Your instructions are even more
	detailed, and therefore appreciated.

	FURTHER QUESTION -

	SO... WHAT DO I USE TO PREPARE A NEW CIRCUIT
	BOARD, SUCH AS FOUND IN A TEN-TEC RADIO KIT?
	It seems like the boards don't wanna take solder
	so I figure they have oxidized just a bit in
	the package before reaching my work bench.

	EXTRA BONUS QUESTION -

	I need to buy solder... what do I get?
	I was considering a 1 lb spool of Kester
	no-clean 63/37, 31 mm diameter,  but maybe
	there is is a better choice ???

	THANKS !!!

	I am in middle of building a TT Model 12254
	receiver kit, and an also building an antenna
	analyzer kit,  and just finished the TT 1225
	SWR/WATTMETER Kit - which turned out swell and
	seems to work right !   (for a novice kit builder
	having it turn out right is the amazing part...
	I have not reached the point where I can expect
	it to work right immediately upon finishing it...)